Sunday, April 6, 2008

What Makes This Celebrity Death Different From All Others?

Like any good bleeding heart liberal, I subscribe to the usual leftist media. NPR. The Nation. Mother Jones. Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer.


And thus, like all good bleeding heart liberals, I was bombarded this week by remembrances of Martin Luther King.



I don't mind admitting I get a bissel fahklempt (that's Yiddish for "experiencing deep sadness and regret, like what you feel when you're at the grocery store on the day before Passover and you realize you left your coupon for the 5 lb. pack of Manischewitz matzah at home") whenever I hear the speech.

But you do have to wonder, what about conservatives? What opportunities do they have for a teary-eyed remembrance of a political icon who dreamed their dream?

It turns out, even the right-wing gun nuts can make it to the mountaintop.

R.I.P. to the great pretend Jew and one-time Civil Rights supporter (and star of the most homoerotic film ever) . . . if only you hadn't drifted oh so far to the other side . . .

No comments:

ShareThis